Soliloquies

Soliloquies

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Review of Related Videos


I was browsing some old videos in youtube, Silverchair's Tomorrow in particular, when I realized that every video I searched somehow reminds me of significant persons and events so oddly vivid and real. MTV created a dominant sub-culture that even sociologists could not contest. It's not just a mixture of movements, effects, and sounds but an experience that appears to a particular place, to a particular person, at a particular time. For more than two decades of being a cult-follower of mtv, I thought of listing my top 10 favorite music videos. For posterity, as always.

1. Black Hole Sun (Soundgarden)- i love the song for its melancholic yet beautiful melody. It epitomizes the 90's rock. This is where my Cornell-worship started. I also remembered cursing Ms. Parcon's algebra class. One of the best years of my life.

2. Walking After You (Foo Fighters) - I don't know what the video was trying to say, two people who want each other but can't have each other because the woman seems to be inside a hospital or an asylum. The song was part of the X-Files soundtrack. Inspite of its being unfathomable, i liked it.

3. Mr. Brightside (The Killers) - the song really comes in handy especially in the morning when I do some stretches. Apparently, the video was inspired by Moulin Rouge which explains the extravagance of costume of the showgirls/burlesque dancers.

4. Tomorrow (Silverchair) - I love Daniel Johns! Inspite of his infamous personal life (he developed anorexia from listening to his own songs), he's one of the most prolific songwriters ever. How can he possibly formed Silverchair at age 12!

To be continued

No comments:

Views from my so-called life

Views from my so-called life
Wherever, whatever....